Wednesday, May 17, 2006


Now that the semester of intaglio at UW-La Crosse is over, I have the summer to return to woodblock printmaking. This is the first proofing of plates started during the summer of '05, but which I was unable to finish before class started in the fall. All in all I am pleased with the image. There are a few carving corrections necessary, trying to figure out how to get my ink tones to print better, and then a printing on fine japanese paper for the finished image. Thanks to my friend and printmaking instructor Eva Pietzcker for her earlier suggestions on how to get "blacker" blacks. I was over printing the dark grey portions of the plates onto the black areas (it involved less carving). One would think the black would over print the greys, but in fact the greys lighten up the black. Just another step in the progression of a printmaker.

1 Comments:

Blogger M said...

I guess that "light to dark" rule really works. (why..oh..why do I still remember these printshop rules)

Did you get some tips from Kimmy?...or was she trying to get a hold of you?

So I figure yes, either ghost of printmaking past is either Andy or Ben. I hope it is Andy because that means that he is coming back to us!!!...but I really think it's Ben.

Good Luck with the woodblocking. It's funny how you are becoming a "seasonal" printmaker.

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home