Thursday, April 13, 2006



Chaos is the intention for this latest series of images. I let the ink, burnt plate oil, density of the roller, and wiping of the plate to have their say about the final image as much as what I have to say. To not be compulsively in control of the entire process, but instead to allow the materials to speak their language in their way as well. This image has its' origins in a piece of photographic cellulose, and this time although the image is abstracted I have allowed it to retain much of the properties of a photograph. That is the ability to capture the reality of a moment like no other medium can. While I continue to find my voice as well as the voice of the materials, the next plate is already being bitten by the acid.

2 Comments:

Blogger M said...

These are exciting Nels. How did you chose which lines you wanted to keep and which ones to leave out. I think you picked the perfect amount of information to show.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Nels said...

Now you've got me blushing! On the original image there is a large window just behind the flute player allowing bright light to stream into Tig Chioli (the pub in Galway where this was taken) and onto the trad musicians. Most of the lines are the values defined by the presence of light.

10:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home