Thursday, April 06, 2006


Over Spring Break at UW-L when the printshop was very quiet I had the opportunity to do another of my litho/photo prints. This one is from a series I shot this past summer about disappearing farm technology. It started when I noticed the old wooden barns were disappearing. However, they weren't just suddenly disappearing, but were being neglected and allowed to deteriorate and decompose slowly and sadly. I felt compelled to shoot them with my camera. This project then expanded into shooting the old tractors and farm implements that were also dragged off to the side of a field, and allowed to rust and share their space with weeds and vines that were feverishly trying to make them their own. I began to think about how these items were at one time so very important, even vital, to their owners and were so appreciated. Now, due to the evolution of technology they were no longer wanted or appreciated, and were being quickly discarded. As I was shooting I was wondering why I was feeling this emotional connection. I began to realize it was about me. I am approaching 60 years of age and retirement. Would society also begin to under appreciate me? Would I also soon be discarded and allow to decline by myself?

1 Comments:

Blogger M said...

How could we ever under appreciate you Nels. You are as alive and exciting as any twenty year old. Didn't you know that our generation has an obsession with the past. Film Noir, 1950's posters, comics, typewriters, old victorian furniture. I'm not sure if our life seems so stagnent around us, or if we realize that we are not leaving an excting visual impact except for stupid little electronic things, but I really think we are more curious about the past than you think. And even with the help of our dull technology, age doesn't seem to matter when it comes to communicating within the spectrum of generations.

1:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home